Our baby boy is ONE today, and we are so grateful for him! We had his party last week, so today we are celebrating with pancakes for breakfast, and a trip to Lazy 5 Ranch to see some animals this afternoon.
This is more for me and my family, but I wanted to write down a few words to Davis on his first birthday, and also record his milestones, and pictures from the last month.
Dear baby boy, we cannot believe it’s been a year! These last 12 months have been full of joy, tears, growth, adventure, emotions, fun, laughs, unforgettable moments, and lots of lessons learned.
You are our miracle. We prayed for you for 2 years, and God gave us you. He knew you well before we did. He formed you, protected you, and kept you healthy.
Because of you, we are Mommy and Daddy. We have changed and grown as you grow. We cherish life more because of you. You make us a family, and we have endless joy in that.
We love watching you grow, change, and explore. You seem so eager to know more and investigate things. We are incredibly proud of you already. Each time we see you do something new, we look at each other, beaming.
We pray for you, and look forward to see how God will work in your life. We believe you will make an impact on this world!
You completely light up our lives, and we love you to the moon and back!
Happy 1st Birthday, Davis!
- From his last check-up: At his 9 month appointment, which was actually done when he was 9.5 months, he weighed 19 lb, 11 oz (50th percentile) and was 29 inches long (75-80th percentile).
- We did take him to the doctor a couple weeks ago, because he was sick for the first time (respiratory infection). He weighed a little over 22 pounds. I’m not sure how long he is, but 30 something inches for sure.
- 18 month pajamas fit him best. He still wears some 12 month pajamas, but they are getting too small. He wears 12-18 month or 18-24 month clothes. It just depends on the brand. He has grown out of some shoes he wore last month.
- He wears size 4 diapers, and we use Pampers Cruisers size 4 at night.
- He takes 2 naps each day.
- He goes to bed around 7. He sleeps about 12 hours!
- He has 4 teeth on top, and 3 on bottom, with another starting to grow in!
- He clearly says, “Daddy,” but sometimes it still comes out more like, “Dada.” He says “Mama,” but it is normally like “ma-ma-ma-ma” when he’s upset.
- He tries to say “uh oh,” but it sounds more like “oh yeah.”
- He waves, claps, and points.
- He is still all over the place and into everything: opening doors and drawers. He loves the dishwasher and closing the refrigerator door. He also likes to shut the door on me if I walk into the hall closet.
- He loves to throw anything and everything.
- He bangs his toys all the time, especially on our glass coffee table.
- He loves to sit on the floor and throw a ball and have us roll it back to him.
- He laughs a lot.
- He is starting to climb on Kenan and pull his hair or just mess with him. He still thinks he’s hilarious.
- He is more comfortable standing, but still holds on or leans on a piece of furniture. He is really good at walking behind his walker toy.
- He signs “all done” and “more,” but not every time.
- He is starting to use objects correctly, such as trying to brush his hair with his hair brush.
- We transitioned him into a convertible car seat so that he is still rear-facing, but sitting up.
- He still eats 3 meals. He eats a lot!! He gets 2 bottles per day, and we are reducing the amount of formula in each. Yesterday he had 5 oz in the morning, and 5 before bed.
- We started trying to give him whole milk in a sippy cup at lunch and before bed.
- He eats mostly finger foods, besides smoothies, oatmeal, or yogurt. Or if he’s really tired he doesn’t always like to feed himself.
- He is becoming very curious about the spoon, what’s in bowls, etc. I let him feed himself, assisted, with a spoon some times.
- New foods this month: He’s had mashed potatoes (Thanksgiving), marinara, tomatoes, bell pepper, birthday cake, breakfast muffins (wheat free).
- He is more thirsty during the day. He used to fight drinking out of a sippy cup, but now he seems to want water more often.
- He is still loving books! Especially peekaboo books.
- He still loves to hold onto things and jump (like the side of his crib).
- He likes wearing hats.
- He loves walking behind the musical walker.
- Sarah and Jeremy let us borrow a walker that holds him like an exersaucer, but he can move around. He loves it.
- He still really loves Kenan and the vacuum!
- He still likes to click his tongue.
- He really listens when you make animal sounds.
- He loves his Jellycat stuffed lion.
- If you’re on the phone and he’s in the room, he climbs up on your lap to get to the phone or listen.
- He has been like this for a while, but I wanted to document that he definitely knows who people are, and easily goes to his grandparents, my brother, etc. I love to see this! He also seems to really enjoy being with his cousins.
Not So Fun:
- He did better at church in the nursery this week, but I hate to see him cry when we leave him.
- We can see the toddler coming out in him every once in a while. He will sometimes fuss or throw a little fit if he doesn’t get his way. That is rare, though, for now.