Long weekends are the best, and extra long weekends are even better! Todd got home a little early on Wednesday, and was able to be off work the rest of the week. We had time with family, time to relax, time to watch football, time to eat, time to watch movies, time to do a little Christmas shopping, time to be thankful, and of course we celebrated Davis’ first birthday!
On Wednesday night we prepped Thanksgiving food, I made nachos, and we watched The Holiday. It was such a great at-home date night.
We had Thanksgiving lunch at my aunt and uncle’s house with the Link side (my side) of the family.
Most of the pictures are of the littles, but can you blame me? So cute! Getting a picture of all 3 is always an adventure.
Love love these two.
My parents, brother and us. We’re all at least looking at the camera and our eyes are open. Davis chose to stare versus smile – ha!
That night we went to Todd’s brother and wife’s (Joel & Ginna) house. They were hosting her family and Todd’s family. I forgot to take any pictures, but I found this one of Seth and Abbie (Todd’s younger brother and sister) on my phone – haha!
The Kingdons stayed at our house that night, and we had brunch and played cards the next day. It was relaxing, and fun to stay in with family! After they left, Todd and I did a little Black Friday online shopping, and generally relaxed at home.
On Saturday we ran some errands together, wrapped Davis’ birthday presents, went to church, and watched football.
Sunday was all about Davis! He turned ONE! We went to Lazy 5 Ranch – I have a whole post coming about his birthday. Stay tuned.
Since I like to document the food I make, here are a few of the recipes and meals I made this past week:
- Nachos (picture below): sautéed sweet potato, onion, and black beans seasoned with lime juice, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper. I laid the chips out on a rimmed baking sheet, put a light layer of cheddar on top, then the sweet potato mixture, then a little more cheese. I baked them until the cheese was melted and bubbly. We served them with chopped tomato, avocado, sour cream, and salsa.
- My current favorite salad (kale, wild rice, pomegranate, feta…so good and seasonal!)
- Fresh cranberry sauce (with 1/2 the amount of sugar)
- Bacon-wrapped olives.
- Spiced cashews & almonds. I added almonds, and roasted the nuts after mixing in that butter/rosemary/brown sugar/cayenne mixture.
- Open-faced brunch sandwiches (picture below): toasted sourdough, fried egg, tomato, avocado, and bacon. I had mine with mayonnaise and Texas Pete.
- Salad (picture below): spinach, chicken, wild rice, avocado, pomegranate arils, spiced cashews and pecans, feta, and honey mustard vinaigrette.
- Pasta (pictured below): chicken, broccoli, spaghetti, bechamel (white sauce, added parmesan)
Happy December! I’m off to make some sweet treats and hopefully begin decorating for Christmas!