The temperatures in Charlotte last week got down into the teens, so naturally I made soup two nights in a row. I made enough chicken for this soup and the Potato, Kale and Chicken soup from Sunday’s post all at once. I find that prepping as much food ahead of time as is possible promotes healthier eating.
If you are making the chicken just for this soup, I used 1 split breast and 2 legs. You could use thighs as well.
This soup is not complicated or fancy, but it is full of vegetables, and still hearty enough for dinner. You can add different vegetables, or take some out if you prefer.
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrots, small dice or shredded
- 1 cup celery, small dice
- 1 zucchini, small dice
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes, small dice
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, chopped
- 1 box chopped tomatoes (I used boxed instead of canned)
- 5 cups chicken stock (organic, gluten free)
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- dried Italian herbs (I used oregano and basil)
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large stock pot, add butter. Cook the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until softened. Add the potatoes, zucchini, green beans, and cook for a couple minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost cooked through.
Add the chicken, beans, herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
We ate ours with some GF rice crackers, but if you aren’t gluten free, a grilled cheese would be perfect! Enjoy!