For the next birthday party in your life, try combining two of the most classic desserts to really celebrate! Chocolate cake with vanilla cream cheese buttercream is my go-to for birthday cupcakes or cakes for friends and family. Adding dark chocolate chip cookies (with sea salt!) into the layers was the icing on the cake! Too much, I know. I included the recipes individually for this Chocolate Chip Cookie Chocolate Birthday Cake, as well as some simple instructions for how to put it all together!
Making a layer cake can be intimidating, but luckily this cake can be made in stages. My advice would be to make the cookie dough a few days ahead of time, as stated in the recipe instructions. I also suggest baking the cookies the day before assembling the cake. The buttercream can also be made several days ahead.
You should definitely find a fun “Happy Birthday” cake topper!
I posted about the cupcake version of this cake a few weeks ago. All of the details are in that post. Those same recipes can be used to make this cake. The original source of the Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt is the best chocolate chip cookie I’ve found. Make them – you won’t regret it!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Chocolate Birthday Cake Instructions:
- Make half a batch of the chocolate chip cookie dough and refrigerate for 36 hours. After refrigerating, bake the cookies – and do not forget to add sea salt.
- Make the Vanilla Cream Cheese Buttercream at least the day before. Store in the refrigerator.
- The day of, or the day before, the cake layers can be made. Using the chocolate cupcake/cake recipe below, make 3 layers. Grease and flour an 8″ or 9″ round cake pan, and also add a parchment paper circle to the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking. Add the cake batter to the 3 pans, and cook for 10 minutes, then check, and continue cooking until a cake tester comes out clean. They may need to be rotated after the 10 minute mark. If you start to smell chocolate in your kitchen, you’ll want to see if they are finished!
- Once baked, allow the layers to cool completely.
- While baking the cake, allow the buttercream to come to room temperature, and briefly freeze 12 cookies.
- Once the dozen cookies are chilled, use a knife to chop or break them into large crumbs (as pictured).
- Place the first cake layer down on a cake carrier or cake stand. Add some buttercream and spread evenly. Add 3-4 crumbled cookies. Repeat with the 2nd cake layer, buttercream, and crumbled cookies.
- After adding the 3rd and final cake layer, put a very thin coat of buttercream on the entire outside of the cake. You should be able to see the chocolate cake layers through the buttercream. This is called the crumb coat. Chill the cake for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and use the remaining buttercream to evenly frost the cake.
- Halve enough cookies to form the bottom border of the cake.
- Top the cake with cookie crumbs.
- Add a “happy birthday” sign, and some candles, and enjoy!
I truly hope you enjoy making and eating this Chocolate Chip Cookie Chocolate Birthday Cake!