I’ve written about them before, and I will do so again – SUPERFOODS are key to boosting your health! Most of these smoothie additions I’ve listed fall under the Superfoods category, because they are high in antioxidants (fight free radicals, help our skin glow, etc etc), are high in healthy fats (we all know we need those Omega 3s), are high in fiber, and/or are high in vitamins and minerals. Your skin, heart, brain, digestion, weight, immunity, and so on, all benefit from these foods. Adding them to meals, especially smoothies, is easy! I highly encourage you to incorporate a few into your diet!
Smoothies for breakfast are on regular rotation around here, so I have tried to make them extra healthy. The basics of our typical smoothies include spinach, berries, mango or pineapple, almond butter, coconut milk, and banana. Here are the additions we add to our spinach + fruit smoothies:
- Probiotic. Probiotics are key for our gut health. They are the good bacteria that help immunity. (We use a powdered kind, and we also have one that is appropriate for children – see the link. These are especially good to use during cold and flu season, or if you feel like you’re getting sick. Also use a probiotic if you’ve been on an antibiotic).
- Chia Seeds: fiber; omega-3 fatty acids; calcium; potassium; iron; antioxidants; protein
- Maca Powder: hormonal balance! (Click the link to see an article from Paleo Mama with a list of all of the benefits of maca powder. I only use this if it is something for Todd and I. I am not positive if it is safe for children, so I keep it out of my son’s).
For an acai bowl:
- Acai Berry: antioxidants; healthy fats; fiber. Our recipe here
- Hemp Seeds: complete protein; essential fatty acids – omega 6 and omega 3; fiber; vitamins. (We use these on top of an acai or a smoothie bowl, rather than blending them into the smoothie)
If I make a protein smoothie or a choco-peanut butter smoothie (recipe below), I also add:
- Raw vegan protein powder
- Unsweetened coconut
- 100% Cacao powder: magnesium and other essential nutrients; heart healthy (lower blood pressure, improve circulation); antidepressant effects; vitamins; antioxidants
- 3/4 c unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened organic coconut flakes
- 1 – 1 1/2 c organic baby spinach
- 1 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 Tbsp 100% cacao powder
- 1 spoonful raw almond butter
- 1 scoop raw protein powder (vegan, organic)
- crushed ice
Blend together and enjoy! Add water for a thinner consistency.